[time-nuts] Re: Current-day GPS timing receivers

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Fri Feb 18 20:57:51 UTC 2022

On Fri, 18 Feb 2022 12:19:23 -0800
Larry Gadallah <lgadallah at gmail.com> wrote:

> The local elders croaked out: "You don't want to do that. You won't
> learn anything. You should build your own radio from scratch and gain
> some valuable experience." So, here I am some 40 years later, getting
> the exact opposite suggestion. I guess it's true that amateur radio in
> many respects has become merely a tiny slice of the consumer
> electronics market.

Well, if you want to go the DIY way and build everything yourself,
then have a look at [1], where I collected most of the available
GPSDO designs (There are a few missing, but nothing substantial).
I would personally go the way that Nick Sayer took. It is closest
to how I would build a GPSDO. Maybe use a TIC7200 as interpolator
like Tobias Pluess did a couple of months/years ago.

There are a lot of discussion on the time-nut mailinglist on how
to do this or that. I would especially look for the discussions
with Tobias Pluess around 2019/2020. There were some good ideas
passed around in those. But there are plent of others as well.
Just look at the archives and search for GPSDO and you will find plenty.

			Attila Kinali

[1] https://attila.kinali.ch/blog/2016/02/07/gps-disciplined-oscillator

--
The driving force behind research is the question: "Why?"
There are things we don't understand and things we always