[time-nuts] Re: Current-day GPS timing receivers

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Feb 19 00:48:21 UTC 2022

HI

If you decide to build your ham receiver from scratch, you then head out to
buy a surplus signal generator for < $100 or so. You buy a couple other pieces
of gear, but none of them are as expensive. Back in the day, your TR4 cost way
more than the “bench gear” to do this or that.

By far, the most likely thing to buy as part of your GPSDO design project is
an atomic clock. Not an Rb mind you , but a properly working Cs or something
more exotic. ( liike a maser ). The bill for them is way past (>10X)  the price of the
GPSDO.

Learning wise, you could go to any of a number of Ham Radio / QST / CQ articles
and pick up on the details of how to build you radio. You could even buy any of
a number of. books that would lead you through the process.

On a GPSDO, there are no books. There are no magazine articles. The folks who
design GPSDO’s don’t talk about what’s inside. It’s not so much the individuals,
it’s how the companies operate. IP matters and it matters a lot. Practical stuff gets
buried as a result. You are off on a “invent it from scratch” expedition (more or less).

Truth in lending: I spend decades doing this and managing folks doing this ….

Bob