[time-nuts] Re: 10 MHz TCXO periodically jumping 20 mHz up and down

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Sat Feb 19 00:24:15 UTC 2022

Hi Erik,

I only saw that thread later, and I will have to return to that as I
have a little more energy.

I'm trying to get you up to speed with the many variants there is, and
there is plenty experience here to feed from. What may be true for one
device will not make any sense for another. Please feel free to ask
questions on and off list. I've had to measure behaviours of many
devices over the years. Eventually the reduced the range of devices I
had to measure for qualification, since they learned what probably would
not work.

For the price-range, manufactures have been very inventive in their
approach to make compensations and also make a wide range of
frequencies. Today we have frequency synthesis so the distributor can
program the frequencies the customer wants. Now, combine that with TCXO
and you can let that synthesis also synthesize the output frequency for
compensation. Trouble is, it can cause jitter we do not want, but for
many applications that's just fine, as they even want more of it for
spread spectrum to make EMC compliance easier.

It might be that you are looking in the wrong range of oscillators for
your type of application.

Also, beware that different vendors have their different tweaks. They
may not even be the same over time. From bitter experience, check your
second sources before putting them onto the second source list.

Spending a bit more can get you out of certain troubles.

I do not recall what your application of choice was, sorry if I missed
that in the process.

Cheers,
Magnus