[time-nuts] Re: 10 MHz TCXO periodically jumping 20 mHz up and down

glen english LIST glenlist at cortexrf.com.au
Sat Feb 19 00:47:40 UTC 2022

I have used the switched capacitor type, with direct control over the
switching caps .

We were able to high speed dither the switch settings to get 1/2 and 1/4
and 1/8 steps of the minimum capacitor switch step. This way, we got
high control resolution.

BUT- this only works for requirements that are tolerant of the switching
spurs, phase mod etc.

The medium term frequency stability was important - over seconds -  not
very short term of milli seconds.

If I need very low noise I use a varactor (capacitance) or YIG style
control , analog LPF and single bit sigma delta converter in the FPGA
(free in FPGA fabric) , and a then fractional dither to get my sub-bit
resolution.

-glen