[time-nuts] Re: 10 MHz TCXO periodically jumping 20 mHz up and down, cause identified

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Sat Feb 19 16:50:10 UTC 2022

Erik,

So, your pick of VC-TCXO is one that obviously seems to use the
fractional synthesis to both set the output frequency as well as
compensate for temperature. The modulations you have will be intrinsic
to the pick.

As you lock your VC-TCXO to a GPS, the average frequency will be locked
to the GPS, but the variations you have from steering will remain. The
control theory of a PLL lock says that you will low-pass filter the
signal on the reference and high-pass filter the noise of the
oscillator. The cut-over frequency is the same, the bandwidth of the
PLL. The actual responses will also be coloured by the damping factor,
which should be kept high to avoid bumps. A rule of thumb is to ensure
you keep the damping factor at least 3 or higher. Now, that remains of
you shifts will be the spikes of the shift, and you really do not get
rid of them unless you have a second cleanup PLL that can low-pass
filter out them. This assumes naturally that you have a quiet oscillator
in the clean-up, and the lesson being, you should be using that
oscillator instead most of the times. The special case is when you have
a somewhat dirty but stable oscillator so you can do hold-over in
unlocked conditions, and then use a clean but less table oscillator as
clean-up. However, many times you can just get a clean oscillator and
avoid the issue, resulting in a simpler and cleaner design, which may be
beneficial as you get a more compact and less power-hungry setup.

These disturbances can eat your precision if you do frequency counters
or spectrum analysis. Actual frequency precision is not the only
measure, but phase-noise and ADEV stability (as perscribed in IEEE Std
1139).

It sounds like you have yourself a fine little oscillator there, but it
may be unfit for your application. I've seen that so many times. Being
"in spec" in terms of the datasheet does not necessarily makes it "in
spec" for the application. At best datasheets help you coarse-select
candidates, but then they need to be tested that their basic behaviour
is compliant with all the performance needs of the actual application.
Learning what is relevant and not for an application is a learning
experience, and one set of experience may or may not be relevant for
another users needs. If one only use high quality oscillators, the types
of tricks being used in high volume low cost oscillators to provide some
set of performance can cause surprises. Either one learn to live with
them, or find ways to compensate them.

For instance, the low frequency PWM pattern you have on frequency you
measured creates a phase-deviation that looks like a triangular wave
shape. It will sweep from equal-slope triangular over to sawtooth shape.
The acceleration spikes as frequency shift at th ends will stress a
follow-up loop. The time-deviation of the oscillator will limit what you
can do with it for other measures. The time-deviation can be
characterized in the standard MTIE curve that measure max max-to-min
time-deviation. This is important in telecom applications, as it
translates to buffer-size. It will also be important in time-interval
measurements.

OK, do let's calculate the peak-to-peak of the phase. You measured a
step difference of about 20 mHz and a period of 107 s. Now let's just
assume that we set it up to synthesize 10 mHz, that is just inbetween
the two steps. This means half the time it would be set to the lower
frequency and the other half to the high frequency, and it now becomes
trivial to see that the frequency synthesis goal is reached. However, it
means that it spends about 50 s at +10 mHz and then 50 s at -10 mHz of
that average. This produces a phase-ramp going -0.5 s and then +0.5 s,
since 0.01 * 50 = 0.5 s. The peak-to-peak time is thus half a second.
That is really bad. This is the problem with long PWM on frequency.

For one design I did, I built a reversed PWM spectrum modulation, which
actually had about the same logic complexity of PWM. It forced the most
significant energy to the highest possible frequency, where it becomes
trivial to filter. For that system I had both an analog filter and the
filtering of the VC-OCXO. The side-consequence is also that the ramp of
phase error keeps being moved up and down at high rate and only ower
components would be seen, but much damped. Any remaining phase issue is
then controlled by the loop as it is a phase-lock and those errors is at
low enough frequency to be suprpessed by the high-pass function of the
PLL. Also, for my case, the issue was small since it was a way to cram
out 19 bits out of a 16 bit DAC, so the amplitude was scalled down by
1/65536 of full-scale and then by the sensitivity of the EFC input.

We have to do these ugly tricks in real life engineering, but the trick
is learning to cheat where it doesn't hurt too much. Telling about these
things I hope is illustrative enough to be a good reading.

Cheers,
Magnus