[time-nuts] Re: Testing GPSDOs

Matthias Welwarsky time-nuts at welwarsky.de
Sun Feb 20 13:16:57 UTC 2022

On Sonntag, 20. Februar 2022 09:41:09 CET Hal Murray wrote:
> kb8tq at n1k.org said:
> > Can you build this or that from scratch? Sure you can. Being sure that it
> > does indeed work correctly .. not so easy.
>
> Let's change the discussion a bit.  Assuming I have a GPSDO, home built or
> eBay, how can I test it with a limited budget?

I'd say, the "most limited budget" option is to just monitor the DAC output.
The less it changes, the better. Below that there's the output stability of
the LO. You cannot get better than that (short tau), but it's also more
difficult to assess. The more quantifiable your "measuremements" need to be,
the less budget friendly they become.