[time-nuts] Re: Testing GPSDOs

Andy Talbot andy.g4jnt at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 17:38:51 UTC 2022

Dunno if this will do what you want ...

Get hold of some PLL Fract-N synthesizers, like the ubiquitous ADF4351, so
you can multiply up from two sources. Mix the outputs and look at the
frequency deviation over time.
My tests using this technique can be seen at
http://g4jnt.com/10MHz_Reference_Source_Stability.pdf    and
http://g4jnt.com/ShortTermStabilityLeoBodnarGPSDO.pdf

I used synths I had to hand, but anything that will multiply up your test
and reference signals to a pair of frequencies separated by a few kHz, so
you can look at the beat note using soundcard software.

Andy
www.g4jnt.com