[time-nuts] Re: Testing GPSDOs

Erik Kaashoek erik at kaashoek.com
Mon Feb 21 08:31:52 UTC 2022

Andy,
Thanks for these references
Using two 5GHz PLL's, one hard referenced to the in-house standard and
the other to the TCXO under test and the outputs of the PLL's send into
a mixer producing a 10kHz output send into a PC for FFT analysis made
the performance of the TCXO very visible.
Can I assume 1 Hz variation of the audio signal is 2e-10 variation on
the 10MHz signal?
My concern with the high resolution FFT is the length of the FFT, does
this not hide fast frequency variations? Or will these variation become
visible through blurring of the peak and as long as the peak is nice an
sharp one can assume the signal is stable over the FFT length?
Erik.