[time-nuts] Re: Brooks Shera GPSDO

glen english LIST glenlist at cortexrf.com.au
Sun Feb 20 20:37:21 UTC 2022

Hi Arnold

The 24M and 6M must be synchronous to avoid adding an edge uncertainty .

But that isnt too hard to manage, just start with a  5V  24 MHz
oscillator (anything, or say a 74AC14 and a 24 MHz crystal)  and a fast
, say 74AC74 dual D type flip flop for 6 MHz (AC to keep the div 4 prop
delay down and more consistent with temp).

The speed this will run at is very much dependent on the logic family .
this board is built with 74HC and an accompanied old slow PIC.  You'd
need to change the logic and the processor software to use other higher
freqs.

There was nothing really special about this design except it was a
simple technique done well and used some novel ideas to permit
relatively low performance computing hardwaree to measure with a high
precision.

regards,

Glen.