[time-nuts] Re: HP Z3801A project update

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Feb 24 17:23:39 UTC 2022

Hi

If the unit has been off long enough ( could be decades ….. ) there is a lot
about the GPS system that it really has no way of knowing. It will have to
grab a full almanac and the ephemeris data from whatever it might happen
to be able to download it from. Since the data rate on GPS is mind bogglingly
slow (by today’s standards), it takes a long time to get this done. Toss in
various burps and restarts in the process and hours can easily be involved.

Bob