[time-nuts] Re: HP Z3801A project update

ed breya eb at telight.com
Fri Feb 25 03:25:34 UTC 2022

Paul and Hal, I think there may be some confusion here. I modified the
Z3801A to RS-232 way back when I first got it. My recent post was just
discussing some of what's in this demo/testing unit thing. It's just a
translator for TTL/RS-232 for when the GPS RX board (TTL serial) is used
by itself, hooked to a PC (RS-232), so the WinOncore SW can talk to it.
When the RX board is inside the Z3801A, it's controlled in that environment.

Actually, I've just been looking for info on this thing - properly
called an evaluation board or kit I think now - but finding nothing
about it online. It must be quite ancient, from the earliest Oncore
days. I know I've seen the info before, but can't find it in my old PC
files either, so far. It's entirely possible that I had only the paper
version that came with it, and there was never a pdf. It's no big deal
though, since the circuit is simple. It's basically just the translator,
based on a 45407, and a 7805 for power. I would just change the
connector to DB-9 F and redo the pinout to match my cables, and add USB
just for power, and maybe throw in a 1PPS LED for fun.

Ed

I wrote previously:

"I'm using the old HP SatStat program. It's plenty good enough for my
simple needs. I also found I have a bunch of old stuff from over ten
years ago, while organizing the older PCs and consolidating backup
files. The original Motorola WinOncore program is included. This can
talk to the RXs directly, but I don't think it can when the RX is
installed in the 3801A. I think there are enough layers in between, that
you have to use SatStat only with the 3801A, and WinOncore only for
stand-alone RX operation. I actually have a piece of an original
Motorola demo/testing unit, which has the RX board mounting and
connection, and RS-232 interface and such to run it. I'm pretty sure I
have the instructions and schematic for it somewhere, and even the metal
box it went into, but not found yet. Eventually I'll be able to rig up a
deal to plug the same DB-9 M connector into it or the 3801A, depending
on the situation.

Looking a little at the WinOncore manual, it seems like you can get much
deeper into the RX control and operation. I can't remember if I ever had
it set up and running like this years ago. I think I was going to, but
then dropped it when I got the Z3801A."