[time-nuts] Re: HP Z3801A project update

Lux, Jim jim at luxfamily.com
Fri Feb 25 12:25:25 UTC 2022

On 2/24/22 11:31 PM, Larry McDavid wrote:
> I give up! Where is this $5 USB-to-RS422 Adapter to be found?
>
> Amazon has such a DTECH adapter for $22.

Indeed the price has gone up substantially - $15

https://www.amazon.com/DSD-TECH-SH-U10-Converter-Compatible/dp/B078X5H8H7

> I am using a RS422-to-RS232 adapter and it has been totally reliable
> for many years. I am not trying to use the pps output via the serial
> link so any delay in the USB adapter would be irrelevant.
>
> Is anyone successfully using a USB-to-RS422 adapter to communicate
> with a HP Z3801A? How does the Z3801A software need to be configured
> for USB or does the USB adapter simulate a RS232 port?

The one I have looks just like a serial port (i.e. it shows up as
/dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART on my mac and is usable with pyserial ) . I
changed the jumpers on my Z3801 to RS232 a long time ago, so I don't
know if it would work, but I suspect it would - they're not doing any
exotic protocols - it's just serial data.

And I've never depended on the timing of the messages - so the USB
timing isn't important.