[time-nuts] Re: Crystal oscillator for a begginer

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Jan 7 13:07:11 UTC 2022

Hi

Setting up a bench to measure clock sources can indeed be expensive.
eBay is one of the ways to find the gear you need at a semi-rational price.
The gotcha there is that the gear may or may not be fully functional. Stuff
from folks like TAPR might cost a bit more. The hassle level often makes
this worth every penny ….

The most basic thing you need for your bench is some sort of standard
to compare things to. It needs to be more accurate / stable than the devices
you are testing. A GPSDO is often the answer. Indeed folks do go to somewhat
insane lengths coming up with standards.

How complicated this gets is very much up to you. A $60 counter and an
$80 GPSDO might well do the job. You could spend 10X that and still
not be into the “crazy” level of bench equipment.

Bob