[time-nuts] Re: PICDIV stability (was: Crystal oscillator for a begginer)

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Sat Jan 8 21:25:19 UTC 2022

--------
Attila Kinali writes:

> Oh.. and if anyone is going to build a DIY oven for some instruments, a 55x35x30cm
> styrofoam box with 2cm wall thickness, suspended in air has a thermal resistance of
> approximately 3K/W. But beware that proper seating of the lid is quite critical as
> that alone can drop the thermal resistance by a factor of 3 (guess how I know).

Sorry for repeating myself about this:

If you want a good thermally stable enclosure, pick and old freezer
or fridge, leave it unplugged, add as many bricks as you can for
thermal mass and get on with the fun stuff...

They come in all sizes, have well designed door closing mechanisms
and can often be had for free, when a working compressor is not
needed.

If you need active temperature control, get somebody with the proper
kit to suck the gas out, and run water through the nice plumbing
already installed.