[time-nuts] Re: High precision OCXO supplier for end costomers

Tim S tim.strommen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 21:51:54 UTC 2022

I have had some good success working with Connor-Winfield for short run,
tighter spec parts as a private individual under the sales column of
"samples".  Just tell them what you want to do, and be upfront about your
actual quantities, and don't be in a rush - it's not good Karma leading a
sales person on with the idea of a big future sale only to tell them you're
done with the handful you already have.  It wastes their time and energy.
I told CW I'd take what I could get to build the parts, not rejecting scrap
crystal rather than demanding virgin before they started and told them that
I could wait until they had time in their process rather than forcing it
through.

Nothing with a dual frequency output from a monolithic component, but for
the application (a custom board for an RPi CM4 with coaxial S/PDIF audio
out) I GPS disciplined the audio master clock (24.567MHz), and then align
the system clocks to that oscillator so that the PLLs  stay within 1/3U and
don't have to resync in the MCU or other bus components (54MHz for core
clock, 25MHz for network clock), and as a result buffers never filled up or
ran dry.  My AP2722 has about an equivalent clock quality (little better,
but tired), so I am in a place where some of the digital artifacts measured
are going to be a fight between the noise floor of the test device and the
test equipment.

-TS