[time-nuts] Re: Odd Request: WTB Lathe.

Dan Kemppainen dan at irtelemetrics.com
Thu Jan 13 13:56:54 UTC 2022

Hi,

Perhaps my post was misleading. The pendulum quality isn't particularly
tied to the machine accuracy. AFIK, the material selection and heat
treatment (and many other things) are much more important than
dimensional accuracy for a pendulum itself. Any pendulum should have
adjustments to correct for absolute errors resulting from minor
tolerance issues in the individual parts. Honestly, a pendulum is a very
interesting device, with many many aspects to consider. (And, I'm no
expert...)

The problem is really that my current lathe is worn out. The pendulum
project just exposed another issue with the machine, and that has become
the proverbial 'last straw' in a whole pile of straws. The tool room
style lathe has been on the wish list for a while, and isn't really
required for the pendulum itself.

If you have particular questions, I'd be happy to chat off list.

Dan