[time-nuts] Re: Another reason to monitor line frequency :) - My AC measurement project & question

willl will will at willwhang.com
Sat Jan 22 19:15:00 UTC 2022

On 1/21/22 7:00 PM, Robert LaJeunesse wrote:
> Stick with the transformer. The use of a capacitive divider is predicated
on the line waveform always being a sine wave. Dream on! All it takes is
one good spike down the line, maybe only 20-30V amplitude, and your
capacitive divider passes it right on to that ADC that has a much lower
(3.3V?) limit. Guess what goes poof?

> Bob L.

I am concerned about this even with the transformer, so I've added Ti's TVS
chips & hookup the transformer after my UPS surge protection plug in the
previous project.
Definitely need to step up the protection level using an NTC resistor or
something like that to handle mains voltage directly..... Or offload the
concern to a surge protection plug.

Will

Lux, Jim <jim at luxfamily.com> æ–¼ 2022å¹´1月22æ—¥ 週å
­ 上午9:46寫道: