[time-nuts] Re: Another reason to monitor line frequency :) - My AC measurement project & question

Lux, Jim jim at luxfamily.com
Sat Jan 22 17:35:50 UTC 2022

On 1/22/22 8:21 AM, Bob kb8tq wrote:
> Hi
>
> None of these transformers are designed for audio use. The same is true
> of the various inductors and capacitors mounted up on power poles to try
> to phase correct the distribution process. Pretty much all of them are “out
> in the wild” and thus exposed to fairly large temperature swings.
>
> All of that suggests that the typical power distribution line is pretty narrow
> band / low pass. Indeed back in the day, that’s what we found when measuring
> this and that.
>
> I’d vote for sticking with the transformer.
>
> Bob

As always, there's a standard for that..
ANSI/IEEE C62.41-2002, “Guide on the Surge Environment in Low-Voltage
(1,000 V and less) AC Power Circuits.”
(which is inactivated as of 2021, but reserved, I think there's a
replacement coming out)

This is probably a Category A or B location

https://www.eaton.com/content/dam/eaton/products/backup-power-ups-surge-it-power-distribution/complete-home-surge-protection/eaton-eatons-guide-surge-suppression-application-notes-sa01005003e-ca.pdf