[time-nuts] Re: Another reason to monitor line frequency :) - My AC measurement project & question

glen english LIST glenlist at cortexrf.com.au
Sat Jan 22 20:16:53 UTC 2022

hear hear.stick to galvanic isolation or better  -

On MF/SW broadcast sites for this we used optically coupled sensors.

The mains supply is simply intensity modulating an opto isolator ( a
pair actually for both sides of the waveform) .. They can with stand a
fair degree of overload and its likely something else will flashover
first with slots in the PCB. The opto was used in a linear mode.  lots
of effective R in the emitter . didnt bother with saturation prevention
diode B-C because the recovery was (still) fast compared to the 50/60Hz.

-glen.