[time-nuts] Re: My AC measurement project & question

Chris Hastreiter chastreiter at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 13:18:34 UTC 2022

I work in the distribution grid protection equipment business, and our
products include measurement capability up to the 16th harmonic for both
the voltage and current measurements made on the line.  For classic grid
protection primarily the fundamental and second harmonic are used, but the
higher harmonics are being used more now for high impedance arc fault
detection (think California wildfires) and understanding the operating
behavior of distributed generation resources.

The frequency response characteristics of all the related transformers
certainly aren't linear, but most of these algorithms are looking for the
presence of higher harmonic content rather than trying to measure specific
magnitude values for them.  So yes, higher frequency content can certainly
be on the grid at least at the distribution level, but in a residential
setting much of the harmonic content present will be caused by the
conducted emissions from local devices through their power supplies.

Chris