[time-nuts] Re: electronics question or how not to fry my raspberry pi

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Jan 28 20:30:19 UTC 2022

Hi

There also are logic families that are 5V tolerant when run off of 3.3V. That
makes finding a “translator” the same as finding any chip from that family.
This may or may not make things easer to do / easier to find.

One of many families is the NC7SZ series. One common gate:

https://www.onsemi.com/pdf/datasheet/nc7sz125-d.pdf <https://www.onsemi.com/pdf/datasheet/nc7sz125-d.pdf>

Should be pretty easy to find.

The gotcha with resistive dividers is the “lowpass” filter you create between
the R of the divider and the C of the input. That can make the process a bit
noisy / flakey.

Bob