[time-nuts] Re: HP Z3801A project update

Ed Palmer ed_palmer at sasktel.net
Sat Jan 29 16:07:00 UTC 2022

On 2022-01-29 2:30 AM, "Tom Holmes" <tholmes at woh.rr.com> wrote:
> Ed...
>
> Very good data!
>
> I am curious about one part of the warmup process. At around 7 minutes, the power jumps up radically, which you attribute to
> the outer oven kicking in. It has often been stated on this list that the outer oven was intended for use during really cold
> starts, which I would expect should cause it to kick on almost immediately during a very cold start. I am assuming your start
> was from room temperature. For a room temp start, I wouldn't expect it to kick on at all  if it's purpose was as reported. Or
> do I have the oven functions reversed?
>
> Tom Holmes, N8ZM

I can confirm Ed's tests.  Attached is a similar test that I did on my
Z3801A.  If it matters, mine is the 24V nominal version.  My test was
done at 27V.  The power supply was an HP6622A with GPIB.  I wrote a
program to query the current being drawn each second.  The current value
was later converted to power.

Ed