[time-nuts] Re: DIY Low offset Phase Noise Analyzer

Erik Kaashoek erik at kaashoek.com
Mon Jul 4 14:02:47 UTC 2022

Hi David,
Let me explain the DIY "measurement instrument"
DOCXO into LO port of a mixer, DUT into RF, IF port with low pass filter
to both steer the Vtune of the DOCXO and into an opamp to amplify
1-100kHz into PC audio input. On PC audio spectrum analyzer.
So yes, the limiting factor is the measurement instrument, probably the
opamp
Further improvements of the setup has reduced the noise level at 10kHz
offset to -145dBc/Hz so the phase noise of the DOCXO plus the AR60 is at
least -145dBc/Hz at 10kHz offset. If the DOXCO is, as the spec states,
-150dBc/Hz at 10kHz offset that the AR60 can not be above -145dBc/Hz at
10kHz.