[time-nuts] Re: DIY Low offset Phase Noise Analyzer

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Jul 4 16:12:53 UTC 2022

Hi

If you are running a high gain op-amp to buffer things into a
sound card *and* using the same op-amp output to drive the
EFC, then you will have problems.

Simple answer is to use a couple of op amps.

Buffer the mixer with something low noise. Get the output of the
mixer up to the point it almost saturates the op amp. Just how
much gain that is depends a lot on your parts and power supplies.
Running +/- 18V supplies into this op amp is no at all unusual.

Since this output is linear, you have the full range of the beat note
present. Nothing has been lost (yet).

One path off this device goes to the high gain stage to the sound
card. If the beat note is present, you will have clipping there.

The other path goes to whatever you do to run the EFC. There are
*many* approaches that could be used. One of many is a variable
gain / variable roll off amp to “set” the PLL corner. That is followed
by a simple summing amp to tune out the DC offset on the EFC.

One thing to note is that once you get past the fancy amp in the
first stage, the noise properties of the other amps are much less
important ( assuming the supplies are fairly high ). This makes the
rest of the circuit pretty cheap to build.

Bob