[time-nuts] Isolation amp transistors

ed breya eb at telight.com
Thu Jul 7 18:26:00 UTC 2022

Thanks Gerhard, for putting up the schematic. After a quick look, I'd
recommend trying the following changes. Of course, I don't know the fine
details, so this is just from a general circuit perspective - could be
all wrong versus the actual situation.

1. Delete the Q7 circuitry including R10 and R11, and take +2.7 V bias
from D2, bypassed by a good cap. Around 220 to 1k ohm (depending on Q2's
gain and final emitter current needed) from there to the B2 node may be
about right. This puts Q2's emitter around 2 V, and the R8, R1 and C9
combo can set the DC bias and AC gain somewhat separately.

BTW, if Q7 and its circuitry are as shown, it appears that the DC base
bias loop provides positive feedback rather than negative. Unless I'm
missing something, I don't think this is what you want. It may be moot
anyway, if a simpler scheme is used.

2. Change the base resistors R3, R4, and R16 to something around 2.7 to
10 ohms range, and optionally delete C3.

3. Consider deleting R14 or raising its value, and just let L1 terminate
the DC. This can reduce the DC bias needed, or get you up to 3 dB more
gain. You can make a matching network if needed, depending on the output
cable driving situation.

Ed