[time-nuts] Re: DIY Low offset Phase Noise Analyzer (Erik Kaashoek)

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Fri Jul 8 13:21:07 UTC 2022

Hi,

Well, both amplitudes can be measured. The method I refer to is one of
several out of NIST, so it's not one of my own invention. See their AM
and PM Calibration material.

Using multiple methods you can evaluate how well the method functions.
The side-tone method generates known PM with the uncertainty in relative
amplitude. It can be easier to validate than a phase modulator approach,
as it needs calibration.

Cheers,
Magnus