[time-nuts] Re: Dual Supplies for Low Offset Phase Noise Analyzer

Chris Caudle 6807.chris at pop.powweb.com
Thu Jul 14 23:49:29 UTC 2022

On Thu, July 14, 2022 2:15 pm, Lux, Jim via time-nuts wrote:
> I like the rectangular boxes made from an extrusion, with covers.

How do those boxes work for low and mid frequency shielding?  Does the
aluminum oxide that grows on bare aluminum keep the side extrusions and
plates you add to make a box from making good electrical contact?
I assume that at GHz frequencies the oxide is thin enough that you get
capacitive coupling, but that doesn't seem reliable at 10MHz, and
especially not for power line protective earth connection if you put a
power supply inside the box.
I like aluminum because it is easy to drill, but I've always been nervous
about relying on it for electrical connections because of that oxide
coating.

--
Chris Caudle