[time-nuts] Re: Dual Supplies for Low Offset Phase Noise Analyzer

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Jul 15 01:06:00 UTC 2022

Hi

It’s a tradeoff, with the extruded boxes, the end plates are the “obvious” place to mount
things. That end plate is (typically) not very well connected to the rest of the structure. With
the die cast, you can mount everything on the “top cover” and have a solid ground. Like the
end plate on the extrusion, it’s connection to the rest of the box is questionable. You can
instead mount on the sloping sides and put up with it (which is my preference).

If you want to go insane, most of the die cast products are set up for a watertight gasket.
You can put a conductive gasket in there and get a pretty good lid to case connection. Any
time things have been that nutty, a CNC “aluminum block” made more sense. Yes, that was
in a “work” environment rather than DIY basement stuff.

With any sort of die cast / extruded / aluminum block enclosure, getting things grounded
to the enclosure without strange inter-metallic issues coming up is “fun”. Still, unless your
copper board is truly massive, the box wall will win in terms of conductivity. If bonding (per
the earlier post) is the objective, then low conductivity is a really good thing.

Never a perfect solution …..

Bob