[time-nuts] Seeking feedback on a HW Architecture for a DIY two channel timer/counter and frequency reference

Erik Kaashoek erik at kaashoek.com
Sat Jul 16 14:31:35 UTC 2022

Some time ago I have shared some info on the timer/counter project I'm
working on.
Based on the excellent feedback from this community I've made some
changes to the HW architecture.
The goal is a simple and cheap HW, possibly leading to a product that
can be sold for around $100.
An architecture level overview can be found here:
http://athome.kaashoek.com/time-nuts/Architecture_2.JPG
Not shown is a touch LCD display that runs the user interface.
The device will have two inputs (channels A and B) with AC or DC
coupling, user definable trigger levels and up or down trigger edge.
One input will have an optional pre-scaler
A third input can be used either for a GPS antenna for the internal
10MHz GPSDO or for input of an external 10MHz reference.
A separate output can provide either the internal 10MHz reference or a
frequency derived by integer divide from this internal reference, such
as 1MHz or 1Hz. The phase of the output is locked by the GPSDO to the
GPS PPS
Given the form factor, 4 inputs/output is the maximum possible.
Does this setup of inputs/output make sense?
Are there any suggestions for improving this architecture?
Erik.