[time-nuts] Re: Seeking feedback on a HW Architecture for a DIY two channel timer/counter and frequency reference

Carsten Andrich carsten.andrich at tu-ilmenau.de
Sat Jul 16 19:44:34 UTC 2022

Hi Erik,

very interesting project. I've been using software-defined radios for
5~6 years now to evaluate our various frequency references (mostly
GNSSDOs) [1]. However, the resulting measurement setups are quite
expensive (>20k€ for 8 synchronous channels with USRPs X310), bulky
(2HE, 500 mm depth), heavy (>10 kg), and power hungry (>100 W). I've
been sporadically pondering how to design a cheap and compact, yet
highly accurate alternative for about a year now. My current, unverified
idea for a quad channel time interval counter is to combine 4 TDC7200
with an STM32's 32-bit timer capture (also has 4 channels). The TDC
should enable ~50 ps resolution.

How do you plan to implement the edge detection (blocks "A/B edge
detect")? What resolution are you designing/hoping for? What's the
purpose of the CPLD, i.e., what does it do that the MCU can't?

Best regards,
Carsten

[1] https://arxiv.org/abs/1803.01438