[time-nuts] Re: Seeking feedback on a HW Architecture for a DIY two channel timer/counter and frequency reference

Carsten Andrich carsten.andrich at tu-ilmenau.de
Sun Jul 17 14:56:00 UTC 2022

On 17.07.22 04:57, Lux, Jim via time-nuts wrote:
> On 7/16/22 12:44 PM, Carsten Andrich via time-nuts wrote:
>> Hi Erik,
>>
>> very interesting project. I've been using software-defined radios for
>> 5~6 years now to evaluate our various frequency references (mostly
>> GNSSDOs) [1]. However, the resulting measurement setups are quite
>> expensive (>20k€ for 8 synchronous channels with USRPs X310), bulky
>> (2HE, 500 mm depth), heavy (>10 kg), and power hungry (>100 W). I've
>> been sporadically pondering how to design a cheap and compact, yet
>> highly accurate alternative for about a year now. My current,
>> unverified idea for a quad channel time interval counter is to
>> combine 4 TDC7200 with an STM32's 32-bit timer capture (also has 4
>> channels). The TDC should enable ~50 ps resolution.
>>
> could you gang up multiple TICCs somehow?

John Ackermann has actually done that and dubbed it the Multi-TICC [1].
It's not for sale and the necessary effort to assemble it is
substantial. I'm tempted to instead spend design effort to get similar
functionality with 4~8 channels onto a single PCB with one MCU. I think
it's feasible, but I haven't had the time to prototype it.

Best regards,
Carsten

[1]
https://tapr.wpengine.com/tapr-file-area/time-freq/multi-TICC_App_Note_2020-01.pdf