[time-nuts] Re: Seeking feedback on a HW Architecture for a DIY two channel timer/counter and frequency reference

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Sun Jul 17 20:10:44 UTC 2022

On 7/17/22 10:56, Carsten Andrich via time-nuts wrote:
> On 17.07.22 04:57, Lux, Jim via time-nuts wrote:

>> could you gang up multiple TICCs somehow?
>
> John Ackermann has actually done that and dubbed it the Multi-TICC [1].
> It's not for sale and the necessary effort to assemble it is
> substantial. I'm tempted to instead spend design effort to get similar
> functionality with 4~8 channels onto a single PCB with one MCU. I think
> it's feasible, but I haven't had the time to prototype it.
>
> Best regards,
> Carsten
>
> [1]
> https://tapr.wpengine.com/tapr-file-area/time-freq/multi-TICC_App_Note_2020-01.pdf

My local ham group has actually built two multi-TICCs on request as a
fund-raiser, and we could probably be talked into doing more.  Given
four TICCs, Front Panel Express sheet metal, an RPi, various cables and
connectors, etc., and a little bit for the volunteers, it's not cheap by
ham/hobbyist standards, but a bloody bargain by professional ones. :-)

If anyone is seriously interested in having one built, contact me off
line and we'll see what we can do.

John