[time-nuts] Re: Seeking feedback on a HW Architecture for a DIY two channel timer/counter and frequency reference

Carsten Andrich carsten.andrich at tu-ilmenau.de
Mon Jul 18 12:31:53 UTC 2022

Hi Erik,

On 17.07.22 21:40, Erik Kaashoek wrote:
> Carsten
> Everything that is in the MCU block is inside the CPU I'm using.
Sorry, misunderstanding on my side. Somehow assumed your architecture
included some timing features already inside the CPLD.
> Not only the comparators will influence path delay, also the other
> differences in the signal path so there is the need for calibrating
> this out.
Sure. Presumably, the longer the propagation delay of a component, the
larger its potential time variance, e.g., due to temperature dependence.
That's why I keep all components that are not explicitly designed for
timing or clocking (particularly 74s) away from timing-critical signal
paths. The TDC7200 is temperature compensated via self-calibration [1].
Matthias Welwarsky had a ~1ns/K temperature coefficient in his GNSSDO
design [2], so I wanted to raise awareness for this issue while you're
still in the design phase. If you're aiming for ~5 ns
accuracy/resolution, temperature dependence could be negligible,
considering your comparator's propagation delay.
> I was worried about the limited ADEV of the TCXO would limit
> credibility of measuring A->B intervals of max 10 seconds with 50 ps
> resolution.
For such long intervals, the stability of the reference will certainly
affect the measurement to the extent of the oscillator accuracy. If a
1~2 ppm error is too much for your use case, that's certainly an issue.

> Erik
Best regards,
Carsten

[1] https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tdc7200.pdf#page=9