[time-nuts] Re: Is this amount of measurement errors to be excepted when measuring with a small frequency difference?

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Wed Jul 20 18:04:17 UTC 2022

Erik,

Yes, those ugly effects are expected but unwelcome. You can consider it
a measure of the [poor] quality of the instrument.

The test setup that I use is a very stable external 10 MHz reference and
a very stable input of 10 MHz plus, say, 1e-10. This creates a growing
"calibrated" phase difference of 100 ps per second, so over a run
lasting 1000 seconds you have covered an entire 100 ns period of the
clocks. The actual values aren't important, the key is simply to use two
references that are stable and not the same frequency, and take your
time so you carefully probe all phase points. It's a little like
spectral analysis.

Even with a commercial counter like the hp 53132A you will notice
pulling effects. There are many variations of the test, depending if you
use just one input or two inputs, or how you use the ext ref input, or
if you are in timestamp mode, or time interval mode, or frequency mode,
or even how long your cables are. A while ago I tested several 53132
with a slight offset 5 MHz input and found phase pulling by as much as
200 ps depending where in the 100 ns ref cycle or where in the 200 ns
input cycle the measurement was made.

http://leapsecond.com/pages/53132/

I may have mentioned this before, but many people test a counter by
splitting a good oscillator, to the rear 10 MHz ext ref input and to the
channel A input. And then they record lots of readings that say 10.000
000 000 00x and are impressed with how good their counter is. This is a
poor test because the counter is only working at one spot in its entire
range of internal phase or interpolator relationships.

It's much better to feed in a second, independent frequency that's close
to but not equal to the 10 MHz reference and then collect enough hours
of readings to see repetitive effects. Over time this will expose all
the internal phase relationships and phase or frequency pulling will
become obvious. Fixing this is difficult because it's the result of
subtle interaction among components, PCB layout, shielding, etc. But the
smaller these effects are the better the counter.

/tvb