[time-nuts] Re: Is this amount of measurement errors to be excepted when measuring with a small frequency difference?

Erik Kaashoek erik at kaashoek.com
Sat Jul 23 11:16:33 UTC 2022

Hi Tom,
I did the test as you described for measuring the phase difference.
When using a sinus signals there is a gradual shift back and forth over
1000s in the measured phase residue of the order of 3e-10 but no sudden
jumps.
When measuring the frequency there is an extremely narrow window in the
gradual phase shift where the frequency jumps to a value that is
proportional to the difference in frequency. The problem with measuring
this is that it is only is really visible with a gate time of less then
0.1s and most pronounced with a 0.02s gate time and a frequency
difference of 0.01Hz. A frequency difference of 0.001Hz disappears in
the noise. Larger frequency differences change so quickly that the
effect is much shorter than the gate time so it again becomes invisible.

What I learn from this is that I should check if sudden peaks in the
frequency measurement could originate from a small, but no too small,
frequency difference and  a matching short gate time. Not a big problem,
just to be aware of.
An example of these spikes can be found here:
http://athome.kaashoek.com/time-nuts/Spikes.png
The pink trace has the smallest frequency difference and therefore the
smallest spikes.
The blue trace has a bigger frequency difference but as soon as I change
the gate time to 0.1 s the spikes disappear

The variations in the residue of the  measured phase with the shifting
sinus input phase can be seen in this plot.
http://athome.kaashoek.com/time-nuts/Phase_shift_0.001Hz.png
Blue is the picotest counter with 0.02 s gate time. Maybe it is caused
by small gradual changes in the effective trigger level.
Pink is my DIY counter which shows much more pulling. Expected because
part is still discrete logic and long connecting wires.

Thanks for all the help.
Erik.