[time-nuts] Re: Realtime comparing PPS of 3 GPS

glenlist glenlist at cortexrf.com.au
Wed Jun 1 00:00:09 UTC 2022

Carsten, around the edges of the patch are all fringing fields, so the
required coupling to the plane may be quite low, depending on the design.

The compromised ground plane may also be permitting some rear size
pickup - multipath !

I'll do some EM modelling later to try and put some numbers on the
requirements. Those numbers to date were for the ideal scenario.

If there are rear side pickup issues, a screen / plane at least a few
wavelengths (19cm) square would stop the patch seeing the reflections /
rear sensitivity without being tightly coupled or connected to the patch
ground.

Maybe that is what you are seeing when you mention that you've
experienced poor performance without an additional plane. I don't know
for sure.

I've only built patches that were high performance, no compromises- It's
likely the mfrs are intentionally throwing away low angle sensitivity
and axial ratio equality , and rear pickup rejection to get the size
down as it still suits the majority of users.

What you can try is turn the patch upside down...and  under the patch at
least 10cm away, use a sea of steel wool (maybe 50x50cm ) to act as an
effective absorber (so the sky wont reflect back underneath) .

-glen