[time-nuts] Re: Is SC the most stable cut for lowest phase noise?

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Fri Jun 10 19:13:58 UTC 2022

I think there is a severe misunderstanding of this issue.
First of all, "rapid warmup" is a red herring.  The real
issue is "rapid frequency stabilization".

The time it takes for the oven to cut back (typically only
a minute or two) is a very minor part of the time budget
to get to frequency stabilization.  You could have an AT
cut oscillator that reached "oven warmup" in 1 second, but
then you would have something like a 1 hour wait to get
frequency stability, due to the thermal stresses.

Part of the reason for the misunderstanding is that the
problem I have described is basically orthogonal to the
proverbial time nut with his master OCXO in an underground
bunker running on an uninterruptible power supply, that has been
powered up continuously for umpteen years.

Rick N6RK