[time-nuts] Re: Is SC the most stable cut for lowest phase noise?

Lux, Jim jim at luxfamily.com
Fri Jun 10 22:36:25 UTC 2022

On 6/10/22 12:13 PM, Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:
> I think there is a severe misunderstanding of this issue.
> First of all, "rapid warmup" is a red herring.  The real
> issue is "rapid frequency stabilization".

Indeed. But to a certain extent, that's why oscillators don't have 5
second warm up times - it wouldn't help. So the "few minutes" is a good
compromise between design simplicity and waiting for the internals to
equilibrate.

I suspect that those fancy USOs in vacuum bottles take a long, long time
to come to equilibrium.

And that is one of the claims to fame of the CSAC - from power on to "on
frequency" is quite short.