[time-nuts] Re: Is SC the most stable cut for lowest phase noise?

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Jun 13 01:30:59 UTC 2022

Hi

Tear into some of your SC cut based OCXO’s. Take a look at the crystal package. For
bonus points, open up the crystal package. If you have the gear to test it, take a look
at what the gas *is* inside the package. ( Good luck with that :) :) :) )

If you had the gear and the willingness to scrap out OCXO’s you would find that a number
of fast warmup OCXO’s have a *tiny* amount of He in the package. Measuring this would
be tough ( it’s that small). Go through the thermal modeling and it’s *way* more conductive
(thermal wise) than a *perfect* vacuum ……

Bob