[time-nuts] Re: What's the best HP OCXO for frequency counter reference?

Dr. David Kirkby drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Tue Jun 28 20:03:28 UTC 2022

On Tue, 28 Jun 2022 at 20:04, Bob kb8tq via time-nuts <
time-nuts at lists.febo.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> The “typical” 10811 struggles when shut down for a while. Once the oven
> is turned off, the boards are just sitting there in whatever environment
> your
> lab provides. Do they soak up humidity or is it something else? We could
> (and have) debated that quite a bit.

Part of my problem is that if I ever wanted to sell this, I'd like to sell
it with an oven that was designed to meet the specifications given in the
frequency counter manual for option 010, which are better than the 10811A.

Another quite practical issue is setting the blinking frequency, as the pot
on the oscillator seems too touchy. I set a signal generator to 20 GHz,
which was fed from a GPS frequency reference. The output of the signal
generator was then fed into the counter. Getting the counter to read within
100 Hz is extremely difficult, as the tuning control is too coarse. As I
write the frequency counter is reading 83 Hz higher than 20 GHz.

To be honest, that's "good enough" for what I am *practically* going to
need. But I would like to do better if possible.

Dave