[time-nuts] Power for serial port gizmos

Hal Murray halmurray at sonic.net
Wed Mar 2 07:42:46 UTC 2022

I just stumbled across a board in my junk collection that reminded me that in
the old old days, before USB, things like hand held scanners needed power and
some vendors made PCI RS-232 cards that provided it.

The one in front of me is a SIIG LP-P2P021-S5
It's a low profile card for 2 serial ports.
The second port goes in another slot via a ribbon cable.

The board has 2 jumpers with 3 pins each.
5V or 12V to pin 9.
It's a normal modem control signal without the jumper.
(You can park it on one of the pins.)

eBay 325077059345 is a 2 port version.
You can see the "5V/12V power" on the picture of the box cover.

eBay 114704092347 is a 4 port version.
You can see the jumpers on the picture of the board.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.