[time-nuts] Re: One-night experiment: empirically verifying that the west coast power grid is actually interconnected

Jeremy Elson jelson at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 14:56:15 UTC 2022

>> Wow! I was not expecting the two curves to match up so well. What a
beautiful result!

>The effective impedances of the power grid are very low, so frequency
>discrepancies are almost physically impossible.

I should clarify my amazement (since I've gotten a couple of "of course
they match" messages).  It's not surprising that the power frequency is
synchronized, but it was surprising and delightful to be able to observe
this using a simple experiment from home on the first try. It's sort of
like the thrill of launching your own high altitude balloon and taking
pictures that show the curvature of the Earth and the dark of space: "of
course" the Earth is round and space is dark, but it's fun and educational
to be able to see it for yourself.