[time-nuts] Re: looking for MITREX modem manual/documentation

Lux, Jim jim at luxfamily.com
Fri Mar 25 16:17:39 UTC 2022

On 3/25/22 7:45 AM, Azelio Boriani wrote:
>  From the paper "PRESENT STATE OF LONG DISTANCE TIME TRANSFER VIA
> SATELLITES WITH APPLICATION OF THE MITREX - MODEM", Hartl specifies
> that "The PN-code is a truncated maximum length sequence of period
> 10.000, instead of the 16.383 chips". In the Xilinx application note
> XAPP052, we can find that the taps for an MLS of 14 bits should be
> 14,5,3,1. In the paper "GEOSTATIONARY SATELLITE POSITION DETERMINATION
> FOR COMMON-VIEW TWO-WAY TIME TRANSFER MEASUREMENTS" there is an
> introduction that suggests the MITREX 2500 modem has a variable
> pseudorandom noise sequence. Maybe the modem was built in different
> versions wrt the PN sequence generation.

There's a fair number of of maximal sequences of length 2^14-1 . And
it's possible that they chose a non-maximal sequence that had "better"
properties. Maximal sequences will have a run of N ones and (N-1) zeros,
for instance, which might not have enough transitions per unit time to
let the receiver get a good lock.  Or they picked a "good" 10kbit
sequence in the middle of a maximal sequence.

It could also be a composite code (the XOR of multiple PN sequences) -
none of the papers seems to say anything about tap configurations.

I'd suggest seeing if you could find an email address for Professor
Hartl - He'd be 94 now.  I think he retired from Univ Stuttgart in 1990.

At 2 Mchip/second, you could pretty easily build a MITREX type modem today.