[time-nuts] Coupling between oscillators -- an example

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Fri Mar 25 19:41:46 UTC 2022

One of the things that needs attention as we measure oscillators more
carefully is ensuring that there isn't mixing or injection locking
between multiple sources.  I just encountered a doozy of a case where
that happened.

I have 3 FTS 9110 5 MHz OCXOs that came out of (dead) FTS military
cesium units.  They run on 24V and have 4 SMA outputs.  They are pretty
loud: +17 dBm.

I powered up all three off a common 28V battery supply and let them warm
up for a day or so (I connected only DC power and not any of the EFC
connections).  Then I hooked them to the three DUT inputs of the
PhaseStation using well-shielded cables and started logging.  The
attached "initial_adev" plot attached threw me for a loop.  That's quite
a roller coaster ride, particularly on #3019.

I thought that maybe the three +17 dBm signals going into the test set
were causing some overload, or at least allowed for cross-talk.  So I
put a 9dB attenuator right at the output of each unit.  That didn't
really help things -- in fact things look worse on the first run after
doing that (see the "worst_ripple_adev" plot).

The frequency counter plots show that #3019 is about 0.168 Hz high,
#3028 is about .012 Hz high, and #9025 is about 0.588 Hz high.  Those
differences seem about right to create beat notes in the 1 to 10
second-ish range.  And then there are beat notes beating against each
other... it gets complicated!   The "worst_ripple_freq" plot is really
interesting; you can easily see the beat notes.

My next step was to put each oscillator on a separate power supply.
That helped a lot, but there were still numerous but smaller ripples
left.  (And I saw that these oscillators are very sensitive to noise or
variations on their power input; there may not be much regulation inside
the box.)

Finally, I put an isolation transformer at each oscillator output (just
after the 9 dB attenuator) so the signal cables had no DC path except at
the measurement inputs.  That cleared things up almost completely.  The
"isolated_ripple_adev" plot shows the results -- #3019 still shows a
possible ripple at around 10 seconds, but that's a small dip on a line
that's in the low 13s.  I'll take that!

This exercise shows that sometimes you need to use some tricks to
eliminate coupling, but it can be done.

John

PS -- an interesting feature of these oscillators is that they are an
"S12" variant that has a little accelerometer bolted on and hooked to
the EFC circuit to compensate for G forces.  These were ship-board Cs
units, so I wonder if the accelerometers were intended to compensate for
ordinary ship vibrations, or maybe the firing of the big guns. :-)