[time-nuts] Re: Simple simulation model for an OCXO?

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Thu May 5 16:01:24 UTC 2022

On Wed, 04 May 2022 17:07:03 -0700
Hal Murray <halmurray at sonic.net> wrote:

> What sort of times and memory are interesting?

A lot of times! :-P

I think last time I generated them I had to run them on a machine with 256GB RAM.
So... probably 200G of data?

> You can rent a cloud server with a few hundred gigabytes of memory for a few
> $/hour.

It's not just availability of main memory. I have access to machines with
multible TB of memory. That's not really the issue for _me_.
But depending on how the simulation system is built, an FFT based noise
generation system that requires the calculation of noise values before the
run of the actual simulation might or might not feasible.
Generating noise samples with arbitrary time correlation online in a
streaming fashion has plenty of advantages, not just memory usage.

			Attila Kinali
--
In science if you know what you are doing you should not be doing it.
In engineering if you do not know what you are doing you should not be doing it.