[time-nuts] Re: measuring tiny devices

ghf at hoffmann-hochfrequenz.de ghf at hoffmann-hochfrequenz.de
Thu May 26 16:20:21 UTC 2022

Am 2022-05-26 17:24, schrieb Richard (Rick) Karlquist via time-nuts:

> VNA's of any kind (no matter how small their size) don't work well on
> components that are too far away from 50 ohms, at least if
> you make a simple minded s11 smith chart measurement.  There
> are complicated work-arounds for these measurements, but they
> require different configurations depending on what you are
> measuring, so there is no turn key or universal solution.
>
> With the low price of available VNA's, anyone can afford to
> buy one, but that doesn't mean they know how to use it correctly.

That has been discussed extensively on the DG8SAQ vector network
analyzer list on groups.io, solutions included.

Now back to the repair of my 8662A! Something shorts the +20V line.
That thing has much too many screws and SMC connectors.  :-(

And the 4274A RLC bridge is waiting with similar symptoms.
That old stuff has seen its best times already.

Gerhard