[time-nuts] Re: measuring tiny devices

Lux, Jim jim at luxfamily.com
Thu May 26 17:24:44 UTC 2022

On 5/26/22 8:24 AM, Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:

The tweezers are really good *only* for single components - even if they
come with test leads, that's for measuring something like a motor start
capacitor.
I tried using tweezers (cheap ones to be sure) to measure a moderately
complex assembly (trying to figure out stray C).  It was a gruesome failure.

> VNA's of any kind (no matter how small their size) don't work well on
> components that are too far away from 50 ohms, at least if
> you make a simple minded s11 smith chart measurement.  There
> are complicated work-arounds for these measurements, but they
> require different configurations depending on what you are
> measuring, so there is no turn key or universal solution.

https://www.mwrf.com/technologies/test-measurement/article/21849791/copper-mountain-technologies-make-accurate-impedance-measurements-using-a-vna

describes the various approaches

> With the low price of available VNA's, anyone can afford to
> buy one, but that doesn't mean they know how to use it correctly.

Oh man, is that ever true.