[time-nuts] Re: Optimizing GPSDO for phase stability

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Fri May 27 19:30:17 UTC 2022

Dear Erik,

On 2022-05-27 18:02, Erik Kaashoek via time-nuts wrote:
> The GPSDO/Timer/Counter I'm building also is intended to have a
> stabilized PPS output (so with GPS jitter removed).
> The output PPS is created by multiplying/dividing the 10MHz of a
> disciplined TCXO up and down to 1 Hz using a PLL and a divide by 2e8.
> No SW or re-timing involved.
> The 1 PPS output is phase synchronized with the PPS using a SW control
> loop and thus should be a good basis for experiments that require a
> time pulse that is stable and GPS time correct.
> As I have no clue how to specify or evaluate the performance of such a
> PPS output I've done some experiments.
> In the first attached graph you can see the ADEV of the GPS PPS (PPS -
> Rb) and the 1 PPS output with three different control parameters (Tick
> - RB)
> As I found it difficult to understand what the ADEV plot in practice
> means for the output phase stability I also added the Time Deviation
> plot as I'm assuming this gives information on the phase error versus
> the time scale of observation.

The ADEV plot is the frequency stability plot, so it can be a bit
challenging to use it for phase stability.

The TDEV plot is the phase stability plot, so it is more useful for that
purpose.

There is a technical difference between these beyond the difference of
frequency vs phase stability, and that is that ADEV is the frequency
stability for a Pi-counter where as TDEV is the phase stability for a
Lambda-counter, where MDEV is the frequency stability for the
Lambda-counter. There is no standardized phase-stability for Pi-counter.
For a nit-pick like me it is significant, but for others it may be
mearly a little confusing.

> Lastly a plot is added showing the Phase Difference. All plots where
> created using the linear residue as the Rb used as reference is a bit
> out of tune.
> Also the TIM files are attached
> The "PPS - RB" and "Tick - RB Kp=0.04" where measured simultaneously
> and should show the extend to which the GPS PPS is actually drifting
> in phase versus the Rb and how this impacts the output phase of the
> stabilized output PPS.
> My conclusion is that a higher then expected Kp of 0.1 gives the most
> stable output phase performance where the best frequency performance
> is realized with a Kp = 0.04
> I welcome feedback on the interpretation of these measurements and the
> application of output phase stabilization.

Since Kp is proportional to the damping-factor, this is completely
expected result for me. As the damping factor increases, the jitter
peaking decreases, and thus the positive gain at the loop resonance
frequency.

What I seem to notice is that the resonance seems to move with Kp
shifts, rather than having a peak of fixed frequency/tau. Doing
phase-noise plots of the data in Stable32 should be a way to see if this
is an actual shift or just an apparent shift.

The details of the PI-loop control may be relevant to correct for if the
f_0 shifts as consequence of changing Kp rather than changing Ki.

The trouble one faces with a PLL is that optimum phase stability and
optimum frequency stability comes at different PLL bandwidth settings.
Keeping the damping factor high to keep jitter peaking low is however a
common optimization.

Cheers,
Magnus