[time-nuts] Re: Build a 3 hat timestanp counter

hans-georg at lehnard.de hans-georg at lehnard.de
Sat May 28 15:04:16 UTC 2022

Hello Magnus,

I understood that simply sampling 3 channels fast and averaging does not
solve all the problems ;-).

I have a HP E740A time interval analyzer that I might use for my
oscillators.
The HP-TIA has 50ps resolution, can sample 10 Mhz directly but has only
512K sample memory. For longer recordings I can use the histogram
function. I still need to do some work on my software for that, but that
might be the fastest way to get results.

Attached is a picture of my HP10811 and another one that someone made
for me as a comparison to other TIAs.

The third pic shows another meter i have  with TLV3501 and TDC7200
without averaging compared to an FA2.

I will keep trying with the TDC7200 and maybe better with the LTC6957
and only one channel.

Am 2022-05-25 22:34, schrieb Magnus Danielson via time-nuts:

> [...]
>
> First, the noise of a circuit depends on the bandwidth of the input. Quite simply, if we have a 300 K noise-source, how much voltage we get depends also on the bandwidth.
>
> Secondly, the slew-rate we have is limited by the bandwidth, since the reciprocal of bandwidth provides access to the rise-time and slew-rate is rise-time limited.
>
> Third, we can increase slew-rate by using gain.
>
> Fourth, each gain-stage will add noise.
>
> In a reasoning similar to, but not quite matching up to the Friis formula for noise figure is relevant here.
>
> So, rather than going straight into a comparator, which is a high-bandwidth input with high gain, you can have multiple stages of amplification and successively increasing bandwidth to support the slew-rate. Eventually you have a slew-rate so high, that a straight comparator or even digital input will not care.
>
> Another complicating factor is that the quantization noise and random noise actually interact. I did analysis on that and presented at a conference. The paper for it is just unreadable and below my standards, but the learnings is important and I will have to revisit the topic. It can actually be good to have more noise than the quantization step has, if you do averaging. Actually, the HP5328A with Option 040, 041 or 042 or a HP5328B will intentionally add noise to the signal to improve the precision as you do averaging. It claims 10 ps resolution achievable if you look in the catalog. Turns out it is better than that, because it assumed a sqrt(N) benefit.
>
> Now, observe how I just contradicted myself in methods. This is, in Bob Camps lovely terminology, a "it depends" issue. Which way to go depends so much on where your limits are and how you choose to approach it.
>
> You mention that it may be good to separate things. I can state clearly that it does. As these signals go through the same chip, ground-bounce issues cause cross-talk. This cross-talk looks similar to a capacitive coupling between the signals, at the point of most slew-rate, the cross-talk is worst. This cross-talk causes any time-wise nearby signal to shift it's apparent time, causing a non-linear shift of time-difference between the signals. This will cause the RMS error to increase as measured over all phase-relationships, and it looks like apparent lock-up of the oscillators, when it is in fact the measurement device which causes the imperfection. One trick to be used is to use a short bit of coax and simply time-stamp a delayed version independently. This way you can estimate the effect and it's impact on your measurement. This usually leads to work on the counter to reduce coupling. Notice that this non-linearity increases with increased slew-rate. Care in how traces and it's
ground-imaging variant is traced, de coupled etc. can significantly help to reduce it. Also, decreasing slew-rate where not needed helps. Again, contradictory to what one would think of.