[time-nuts] Re: Build a 3 hat timestanp counter

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Sun May 29 16:35:21 UTC 2022

Hi Hans-Georg,

On 2022-05-28 17:04, Hans-Georg Lehnard via time-nuts wrote:
> Hello Magnus,
>
> I understood that simply sampling 3 channels fast and averaging does not
> solve all the problems ;-).
Sure, I just want to illustrate how various approaches could allow you
to get the most out of the hardware you have.
> I have a HP E740A time interval analyzer that I might use for my
> oscillators.
> The HP-TIA has 50ps resolution, can sample 10 Mhz directly but has only
> 512K sample memory. For longer recordings I can use the histogram
> function. I still need to do some work on my software for that, but that
> might be the fastest way to get results.
Does the E1740A have a high speed time-stamping port? The 5371A and
5372A have that as an option, so if one could have some suitable
hardware process on those time-stamps, it would be something.

> Attached is a picture of my HP10811 and another one that someone made
> for me as a comparison to other TIAs.
>
> The third pic shows another meter i have  with TLV3501 and TDC7200
> without averaging compared to an FA2.
>
> I will keep trying with the TDC7200 and maybe better with the LTC6957
> and only one channel.

Yes, to try different approaches. The LTC6957 is a very cool little chip.

Cheers,
Magnus